Divorce Attorneys in Norman, OK
Extensive Preparation for Your Cleveland County Divorce Case
It is not usually a good idea to file for divorce without the representation of a lawyer. Oklahoma family law is constantly changing in this state, and divorce can be a complicated process. We encourage you to obtain qualified representation by an experienced Norman Divorce attorney.
At the Law Offices of Keith J. Nedwick, P.C., we stand out in the following ways:
- Our attorneys have 70+ years' combined experience.
- We have successfully handled hundreds of cases.
- We extensively research and prepare each case.
- We always involve the client throughout the process.
- We collaborate on our cases, so you get four attorneys for the price of one.
Our thorough preparation allows us to develop a unique personalized strategy for your particular circumstances. Call our firm at (866) 590-8173 to schedule a meeting with divorce attorneys in Norman, OK today!
What Divorce Matters Can We Handle in Norman, OK?
When children are involved in a divorce, the State requires a waiting period of 90 days from the date you filed before your divorce can be finalized. If no children are involved, the waiting period is 10 days.
Our Norman divorce lawyers can assist you with all aspects of divorce, including:
After a divorce is finalized, it is unlawful in this state for either party to remarry for a period of 6 months. The exception to this rule is when the former spouse is deceased. There is a great deal to consider in a divorce, especially when children are concerned. Our firm can assist you and counsel you through the entire process of divorce, to help you determine the right approach to take in various situations.
How Long Does a Divorce Take in Oklahoma?
In Oklahoma, the time it takes to complete a divorce can vary depending on the specific circumstances of the case. According to Oklahoma law, there is a mandatory waiting period of 10 days after filing the divorce petition before the court can grant the divorce.
- Uncontested: If the divorce is uncontested, meaning that both parties agree on all the terms of the divorce, including division of property, child custody, and support, the divorce can be finalized relatively quickly after the waiting period.
- Contested: However, if the divorce is contested, meaning that the parties cannot agree on one or more issues related to the divorce, it can take significantly longer. The length of time will depend on factors such as the complexity of the issues involved, the willingness of both parties to negotiate and compromise, and the court's availability and schedule.
In general, contested divorces in Oklahoma can take several months to a year or more to be resolved. It's important to consult with an experienced divorce attorney in Norman, Oklahoma for specific guidance on your situation.
Is Oklahoma a 50/50 State for Divorce?
Oklahoma is an equitable distribution state, which means that marital property is divided in a fair and equitable manner, but not necessarily equally or on a 50/50 basis or in a community property state fashion.
In Oklahoma, marital property is defined as all property acquired by either spouse during the marriage, with certain exceptions such as gifts and inheritances. The court will consider a variety of factors when determining how to divide marital property, including the length of the marriage, each spouse's earning capacity and contributions to the marriage, and the economic circumstances of each spouse after the divorce.
While a 50/50 split of marital property may be an equitable distribution in some cases, it is not required by law in Oklahoma. The court will aim to divide marital property in a manner that is fair and just, based on the specific facts and circumstances of each case.
If you are struggling for answers during this difficult time, our Norman divorce lawyers can provide guidance. Contact our firm at (866) 590-8173.
Client TestimonialsDedicated to Delivering an Excellent Experience
“They work relentlessly and tirelessly.”- C.H.
“They work miracles in the court room!”- T.W.
“A+ organization!!”- J.W.