Skip to Content
Our Legal Team Is Available 24/7 Se habla español.

How to Modify a Divorce Decree


When a divorce is finalized, a judge will sign a decree outlining the terms of the end of the marriage. This decree will include things like property distribution, child custody, visitation, and spouse and child support. However, life doesn’t remain static. Your situation at the time of your divorce might not be the same as your situation in the next few months or years. If you experience a significant shift in your life, you might need to ask the court to modify your divorce decree.

Getting your divorce decree changed, however, requires a significant change in your personal circumstances. Courts aren’t inclined to quickly or easily alter a decree, especially when children are involved. Modifications aren’t made on a whim and must be backed up with evidence regarding a substantial change in situation.

For example, if you lose your job, you will likely need to modify any spousal support or child support payments you might be making. Changing to child support are one of the most requested post-decree modifications.

A modification can also be requested by a parent who knows another parent has experienced a significant change. For instance, if one parent knows the other has recently been promoted, he or she knows the parent is more likely to be able to pay more for child or spousal support. Alternatively, if a parent wants to move out of state with his or her child, he or she would have to request a modification to child custody and visitation before this change can occur.

The best way to know how likely you are to be granted a modification by the court is to consult an experienced Norman divorce lawyer. The skilled family law attorneys at the Law Offices of Keith J. Nedwick, P.C. take a methodical approach to each case as we work to build strong arguments on your behalf. Let us examine your situation and make recommendations on your best course of legal action.

Contact us at (866) 590-8173 or fill out our online form to schedule a free case consultation today.

Share To: