While being convicted of a sex crime typically results in lengthy prison sentences, it always leads to sex offender registration. Oklahoma complies with federal sex offender registration requirements through the Oklahoma Sex Offender Registration Act, which lists the requirements and restrictions of convicted sex offenders.
Sex offender registration is designed to keep track of violent and habitual sex offenders. Since there are many restrictions against sex offenders, many try to avoid these consequences by failing to register, which can result in an additional felony charge that is punishable by extra prison time and other penalties.
Oklahoma Sex Offender Risk Levels
Upon conviction of a sex crime, the offender is assigned a “numeric risk level.” Although this level assessment is intended to convey a sex offender’s likelihood of re-offending, the assignment is typically based on the offense committed.
Oklahoma divides sex crimes into three risk levels, with Level 3 being the most severe. Conviction of a Level 1 offense requires an individual to register yearly for 15 years. Level 2 offenders must register every six months for 25 years. Lastly, Level 3 offenders must register every 90 days for life.
The following are the risk levels based on their offenses:
- Sexual abuse or exploitation of a child
- First and second-degree rape
- Forcible sodomy
- Child endangerment involving rape
- Caretaker abuse or neglect involving rape
- Lewd or indecent proposals or acts to a child under 16
- Kidnapping involving sexual abuse or exploitation
- Sexual battery
- Child sex trafficking
- Second or subsequent conviction of a sex crime
- Child prostitution
- Online solicitation of minors
- Soliciting or procuring a minor to participate in obscenity
- Possessing child pornography
- Distributing obscene material
- Child endangerment involving sexual abuse
- Indecent exposure
- Assault with the intent to commit a felony involving sexual assault
If you are charged with a sex crime, the first step is to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney with the tools and resources to successfully handle your case.